Friday, June 10, 2011

lactose intolerance?

Since the Wards gave it to us a while back, I've thought The Seven Silly Eaters an appropriate story for our family. The one I'm thinking of in particular right now prefers milk- or some form of it. But cow milk seems to make her sick. She had her last breast milk (and her first homogenized milk) at around nine months-- too early for my liking, but that's how it goes. That's around the same time our once super-pleasant and 13-hours-of-sleep-a-night baby started to throw up more, experience more wakeful nights of screaming and seem more fussy in general.

We've tried formula and then whole milk again, only to continue to experience more frustrations with eating. She's happy drinking, but I hope to have her weaned from a bottle soon. I know she doesn't need that any more. She used to do better with "adult" foods that we'd let her go wild with on her tray. But now she just fancies splaying them all over the floor with her hands. And she protests our once go-to food, Cheerios. So we try to get some pureed foods in her every day, but she fights those, too. On top of all that, she'd be throwing it all up almost every day.

So right after her one year birthday, we tried giving her fortified soy milk and some almond milk (in addition to pureed fruits and veggies and the grains we can keep in her mouth-- she just gums and spits out crackers or cereal of any variety, which are usually sure-to-please baby snacks). She hasn't thrown up once since. After talking to Dr. H at her appointment this morning, he didn't seem to think that her intolerance to lactose would necessarily be a permanent thing and that after being sick on some occasion a while back, some of the bacteria needed to digest milk may have been killed, causing her to react the way she has been to the whole milk. Who knows? I tend to think she might very well have an intolerance to lactose. It's gone on for 3+ months. We'll just try our best to be attuned to her signals. Right now, the non-dairy route seems to be the way to go with her, at least to a degree. And we'll adjust as we need to along the way.

From 06/09/2011 (by Eye-Fi)
Loving her Silk in style.

From 06/09/2011 (by Eye-Fi)

From 06/09/2011 (by Eye-Fi)

2 comments:

Heather Cramer said...

You know how I feel about that. Those of us who are able to digest lactose are the lucky ones, since I don't believe our bodies are designed to ingest it anyway. Good luck, though, and I hope she develops a love of more foods soon because of her healthy belly!

jogger mom said...

I and my boys are captivated by the seven silly eaters! Such a good story, and the pictures, the pictures, oh my. I guess you would call them illustrations. But no, would not want to live the story, so I'm hoping the positive trend continues.