1. We are rounding out the end of our official school year here, though we're steadily losing steam as we go. The days have been so nice. Who wants to be plugging away at reading, writing and 'rithmatic? Not me! Well, maybe the reading and the writing. Seriously though, I'm pleased with how the school year has gone and am already excited about curriculum possibilities for next year, assuming we do feel called again to homeschool in the coming year (right now, it's looking likely. And I just bought myself a
Mama's Notebook, which I've been wanting to try for a while). A new homeschool group is starting right here in a town five miles from us, and we are in the process of planning a coop on Wednesday mornings. I'd probably teach art. As much as I love our Catholic homeschool group, the Friday afternoon coops are brutal with little ones still needing afternoon naps, though we'll still be involved with them in other ways. Like the cross country team, whom Jack will begin practices with this summer. Our poor little non-team sport kids... but go runners!
2.

We are also members of yet
another homeschool group, (I'm getting confused myself), which includes members from southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois. We got together with them a couple of times this week- once at a state park four miles from here, where the kids enjoyed playing Capture the Flag and hiking on some of the wooded trails, and another time at the home of some friends who have a lot of animals. Abigail was very excited to touch and feed her friend, Amelia's ponies, pigs chicks and a kittens). The purpose of the morning was for the boys to participate in an obstacle course that Jack's friend, Nevan and his dad had set up in their big barn with hay bails and a ladder. But the most thrilling attraction for the little girls was the collection of Polly Pocket dolls and the doll house. After that visit, I think it's clear: must needs get barn kittens. Needs.
3. And since we have the kids home during the whole school year, we're going to send them off to school for summer. Makes sense! We just enrolled the big three in a month-long summer school. It's just the mornings-- four 50-minute classes. Jack and Abigail are taking some Chromebooks class and Birdwatching with their friends, as well as Arts and Crafts, and since the grades were split, Jack will do Learning with Legos and Abigail will do Movin' U, a fitness class. Iris's Kick-off to Kindergarten is only for half of the time. All three are really looking forward to it. Mike and I think it will be an awesome experience for them to be in a classroom setting (and for me to have a wee break in the mornings!).
4.

Waiting for the coordinator (someone loves her brother bigtime)
The kids and I just started volunteering for a home delivered meal program. We pick up six hot meals from a local grocery store and deliver them to homebound elderly around town. What a high! I feel blessed to have inherited this route because they are the friendliest of folks. I'm looking forward to the kids and I forming friendships with these sweet people over the coming months and beyond.
5.

Slime! We have a few slime/Gak recipes saved, and we made one an evening this week, since Dad had another late night. The kids had fun using cookie cutters to make designs and forming them into snakes and gloves. They pulled it out again today and made pies and cookies and pretzels.
Here is the recipe we used.
I leave you with this sweet boy, who's been a trooper, even though he's been under the weather the past couple of days.

Happy weekend! We are blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment