Sunday, October 11, 2015

two years here

Two years ago, we moved from our home in Pittsburgh to our house here in Wisconsin. It seems surreal to think of that time and how much has taken place since then. That was a very bittersweet time in our lives. And Mike and I often talk about how life in general has seemed a lot more challenging since our move here, beginning with that first brutal winter... Things could be SOOOO much worse, and I'm not complaining, but that doesn't mean we haven't suffered many stresses along the way. We've also encountered so many blessings. And I can't help but think that if we hadn't moved or if we'd moved elsewhere, circumstances would have been different, and Toby might not be a part of our family today. What a joy and a blessing that one has been!

I was just rereading this post from just days after we moved here (and reliving all of those amazing memories), and it still seems pertinent today-
"I keep thinking of God's perfect timing in all of this. I would not have done it the way that God did. Much of the process was wrought with frustrations and stress and despair. But considering all of the things I would have done differently if I'd had my own way in life, I'm glad I'm not in control. Looking back, it was clear that God had a plan from our very first house searches in the Pittsburgh area. And an amazing one. A plan that He is continuing to unfold before me daily. I'm reading a very fitting book now (thank you, Kaethe) that is reminding me just how necessary those trying, bitter times are. Our lives can't just be one happy blessing after another. To quote the book, "...a life of nothing but sweetness rots both your teeth and your soul. Bitter is what makes us strong, what forces us to push through..." I pray that in this new chapter in our lives, I will have the faith and courage to face the bitter with the same thanksgiving as the sweet."

I feel like we are only just beginning our adventures here. It's no secret that Mike and I are pretty introverted, and it took us a while in Pittsburgh to put down roots and make close relationships. I'm so hopeful when looking towards the future. Even when life feels overwhelming to crushing at times, God has been so good to us. He has provided for us so much more than I could have hoped for, and planned out this life thus far in such a better way than I would or could have ever planned myself. God is good. We are blessed!

1 comment:

MamaRoc said...

This popped up on my phone about 2 this morning and made me sad :0( Still, it's nice to continue the adventures in your beautiful neck of the woods.

Miss and love you.