Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Are we there yet?

This brutal winter isn't even close to being over. And we're bracing ourselves, as it seems we just can't catch a break. But I'm trying to remain positive. We haven't experienced any trials that we haven't been able to overcome with relative ease-- "death by paper-cuts," as Mike put it this morning. Let's just say that Spring can't come soon enough. And while I'm trying to enjoy the ride, I can't help but ask occasionally, "Are we there yet?" Getting to 8:30 Mass didn't happen for us on Sunday. After 250 lbs of salt total and hours of snow-blowing/manual salting by Mike, she was finally freed. And because of that incident, we had an excuse to spend a lovely evening downtown, where we attended an extra-long Mass and enjoyed dinner at a cool three-story Noodles & Company. Thai curry soup turned that van-in-a-ditch into a win! We can say that it did.

That van has been making some concerning noises the past few days. After piano lessons yesterday, we left to drive Jack to meet Mike close to Madison so the two of them could attend their Squires of Divine Mercy. We were about five minutes from our meeting point and 25 minutes from home when the noises piped up in earnest, and the dash lights lit up. We were almost to a stop sign anyway, and just petered on to the shoulder, as the breaks weren't really responding either. Anymore, when we find ourselves in the midst of tough times, we have been making a habit of saying some prayers for all of the people who we think could use some extra prayers. That does a wonderful job of downplaying our own annoying predicaments. And God provided for us, as always. I never usually remember to pack food when we venture out, but I had loaded my Trader Joe's tote with enough food for dinner for everyone, plus some- and juice boxes and a water bottle. PLus, it was a relatively balmy 30-some degrees. If our van was going to break down at all, in Wisconsin in January, nonetheless, this was the prime time. The kids seized the opportunity to play car games, and we made approximately five pit-stops on the side of the road for bathroom breaks. Almost three hours later, we were back home, having accomplished not much tangible with our evening other than getting our ailing van to the auto shop via a AAA tow, but I have pleasant memories of it all the same. I think we are learning to laugh at these times and find the good rather than feel sorry for ourselves. There's not much use in that. We've seen a couple of these guys (or maybe the same one?) the past few days, munching away on frozen apples. We were concerned at first, but then we read that they do come out during the cold and when food is scarce. Possums are gross, and I count this as an unfortunate event.

(It's amazing what decorations will do for a Christmas tree!)

I'd hoped she'd stay at least another week or two, but both the cat and Opal made it an easy decision. We've caught Opal with one too many ornaments in her mouth, the last two of which were glass and had somehow fallen from out-of-reach spots (kitty?).

Here's something on the bright side-- the kids and I had a play date here this morning, and I don't know who had more fun- me or the kids. Jack had a blast Lego-ing with the seven-year-old boy, and the girls were having the time of their lives in "girlish land"(?) with the four-year-old girl (their almost 12-year-old stayed home). I felt recharged after adult conversation with their mom, whom I feel I relate to on so many levels. And it sounds like our husbands have a lot in common as well. We are making plans for an evening get-together in a couple of weeks. This was much needed, especially after our drive home last night, during which the kids started waxing sentimental about how they missed our old house and friends :^(. I assured them that we'd keep those friends but that we'd make new ones here, too. And it was encouraging to see the fruit of that today. We are so very blessed. These crazy kids thought the extreme whipping winds of snow would be fun to play in. And they did for about 45 minutes. Funny thing

No comments: