My great-grandmother, Gigi turned 102 today. If you don't know Alice Akers, she is amazing. Besides still livng by herself in excellent health, she has great faith, and she never ceases to have our knees buckled in laughter after a visit.
Here are a few memorable Gigi moments:
All of her loony songs sung with wide eyes
Telling Jack (her first great-great grandson) to sock my grandmother (her daughter) in the face
"Don't eat dee bone!"
"Let's get drunk and lie on the floor and sing 'Hail! Hail! The gang's all here!' (Which happens to be her doorbell ring- and she never drinks)
Finding her shuffling around in her basement singing, "Ol' Black Joe... I'm a bendin' low!" in a deep deep voice.
"Tiiiiiny bubbles, in the wine!"
And one of my favorites-- her retelling of her dialogue with my aunt, Holly before going to teach at the MD School for the Deaf in the mornings: "'You think Mr. Gardner (the school principal) will like you today?' 'Well, yeah, I think he might.' 'Well, he won't! You think you're pretty?' 'Well, yeah. I think I look kinda nice.' 'Well, you're not!"
You're a hoot, Gig! I love you.
~Li'l Ol' Kell
No comments:
Post a Comment