Friday, April 8, 2011

making children's clothing

I don't know how I got on these mailing lists, but I keep getting catalogs from places like Mini Boden and Hanna Andersson. The clothes are pretty sweet, but MAN ALIVE! Who would pay $35 for a skirt? And $25 for a matching shirt? I kept thinking that a lot of those clothes would be simple enough to make. Why couldn't our kids have cute clothes that are fun to wear at a fraction of the price? So I started with a simple skirt pattern from Pink Fig and some fabric I've had on hand. I should have done things a bit differently-- I was at first puzzled by the instructions, but it's great that practically any sewing (or knitting) question I may have has been asked and answered by other folks online.

From 04/08/2011 (by Eye-Fi)

From 04/08/2011 (by Eye-Fi)
The skirt went very quickly-- and I whipped it out while the kids played and brought me felt sandwiches from their kitchen. I love having my little crafting nook in the play/school room).

From 04/09/2011 (by Eye-Fi)
She giggled when I gave it to her and wanted to put it on right away.

From 04/09/2011 (by Eye-Fi)


I got a few plain sleeveless and t-shirts off eBay on which to sew some decorative appliques. And maybe do some printing. I've made a few stamps from apples and potatoes for the kids for crafts, but I'd really love to try printing with handmade stamps and stencils on fabric.

No comments: