Monday, May 21, 2012

pent up

With everything that's been going on during this pregnancy, I've been told to "rest in bed as much as possible." (right.) So we hired a mother's helper to come and assist me with the kids three days a week- an inconvenience for the bank account and sometimes a frustration (especially at first) to my usually active self, but it's worth it for the health of the baby. Fortunately, the kids love E. And so do I. She will clean, play with the kids here, take them anywhere- to Kindersports, the park, etc., so they can still get out of the house when I'm laid up. She brings them fun music and Mr. Yuck paraphernalia (her dad works at the Poison Control Center) and makes them crowns. Plus she's super available (due to downsizing in her Sports Management field) and shares our Catholic values. We were blessed to have found her.

On the two days E is not here, we exhaust all of the things there is to do without leaving our little plot of treeless land. This weather has been a life-saver. I can unleash them, and they'll play nicely while I sit and soak up the sun and occasionally toss a ball. I think they can sense I'm not the playmate I once was because they really haven't been asking a lot of me lately... they seem content to just play with each other. Or by themselves. Jack and Abigail still nap about every other day, and on the other days, they just have "quiet time," wherein they look at books or color on the white board or Magna Doodle. The other day when I was putting them down, I noticed Jack had only two books to last him the hour-long duration of quiet time, and I asked him if that would be enough. He replied exasperatedly, "Mom, I can just use my imagination!" Oh, that boy.

Despite my sedentary state, I've been enlisting all means of ways to occupy my hands and mind-- knitting, sewing, drawing, reading, praying, catching up on emails (and even sending a few snail-mail!), blogging... I know it won't last, but I'm so, so grateful for this time in my life-- a house full of needy kids, yet I'm still able to cash in on copious amounts of alone time. And it's changed my whole attitude when I am with them- at least I feel like I've been calmer, more patient, laid back. Mike says he thinks this time has been good for me because it's forced me to slow down... I frequently fall into the pot that's boiling today's culture. And it's so refreshing to just slow the heck down. Funny how it takes doctors' orders.

Mike has been so helpful, pretty much taking over with the kids when he comes home from work. The kids fall all over him when they hear that door open. He's a stellar dad. And husband.

From 05/12/2012 (by Eye-Fi)
Mike, setting up an experiment that Jack has been clamoring to do for days...
From 05/12/2012 (by Eye-Fi)
the finished "crystals" made by Jack (with M's help)
From 05/15/2012 (by Eye-Fi)
(recycling truck)

1 comment:

Christine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.