Thursday, March 20, 2014

seven

Seven years ago, we were pouring over the most precious little being we'd ever laid eyes on, the miracle with which we'd been entrusted. Seven years later, we're still in awe over this amazing little boy. He's been such a delight, always pointing out to us new and fascinating things or saying things in such a way that only Jack can. He's witty in his own way, full of exuberance over the smallest of things. I admire his originality and how he's never concerned about what other people may think of his straying from the norm. I only hope he retains that as he gets older, and there is more pressure to conform.

Thinking back over the years, I am amazed at all he has accomplished, and while I'd love to take credit for his smarts, it's been his own zealous nature and curiosity that has served him most in this area. He loves to stay up late with his reading light and a book on some ancient civilization or magazine on marine or animal life. He is enchanted by all things space, ancient history (especially ancient Rome, Egypt, the Aztecs and Mayans...), ninjas and karate, deep sea, and nature. As I read to him requested chapters from his Encyclopedia of World History, he'll tell me enthusiastically that he already knew something that I'll point out as interesting (he had read it himself). He loves building imaginary worlds with Legos and has so enjoyed the two sessions per week he gets to play Minecraft with Mike after-hours. He seems like such a big boy all of a sudden, but I love that he still gets lost in his own world, complete with sound-affects and motions, that he is concerned for the "feelings" of his stuffed animals, that he joins in with the girls in their games of house and Egypt and royal kingdoms and the like, and that he still chooses to go to Chuck E. Cheese for his birthday.

It's been a privilege to watch you grow into such a kind-hearted boy, Jack, but as always, please stay little forever. We love you dearly, you sweet Jackie Boy!

No comments: