Friday, August 24, 2012

a few Friday quick takes

From 08/17/2012 (by Eye-Fi)
We'd never experienced a child just walking into our room first thing in the morning, until Iris. She did the other day, so we concluded it was time to replace her crib with the little bed we'd gotten to match her sister's in the same room. We tried taking her crib rail down a few months ago, only to be met with her abusing her free reign over every drawer and shelf in her room. But this time, she seems ready and has, for the most part, stayed in her bed come bed and nap times.

This morning, we had the opportunity to try out a new park with a group of fellow homeschooling families. I was thinking as we introduced ourselves that this outing was very similar to the first day of school- the meeting of new kids (and parents) whom you'll be interacting with more throughout the year- maybe beyond. A friend, who was also there, posted this after our visit, and it resounded with me. While observing the kids playing, it's clear that Jack will have no trouble when it comes to the socialization aspect of his rearing. He has no qualms about getting right in where the action is, starting conversations, making friends... Abigail is more like I was, however- pretty timid. She stayed off by herself and looked sad much of the time. When I'd ask her about it, she'd tell me, "There are too many people. It's kind of scary for me." I understood. First hand. We talked some more about it this afternoon, and I'm certain that with some more time with these kids, she'll come around. Last year, she continued to be reserved for much of the school year in preschool, but I never really knew what was going on in that two hours and forty-five minutes I left her there. I'm thankful I'm at least able to witness these sorts of situations now and may be able to encourage more friendships for her through more intimate play groups and such. She's already loosened up around the kids from our Moms Group, whom we see fairly regularly.

We stopped into the dollar store on our way home from the park today- one where everything is actually a dollar or less- something I'd never done with all of the kids before, but I wanted to pick up a few cheap school supplies before we "officially" start next week. Jack is easily excitable, and I know I shouldn't be surprised by his intense enthusiasm anymore, but he kept cracking me up in there. He was blown away by everything. At one point he yelled, "Man, we're really lucking out today!" The biggest craze of the day: Jack discovered the calculator. He has been mesmerized by this device, which he says, "tells me all the secrets of math!" all afternoon. It's like he can't believe we've been holding out on him-- why would we ask him to do simple addition and subtraction on his own?! I explained to him that while it is pretty unbelievable, it's best to learn how to do the problems without the aid of a machine.

Jack is signed up for fall learn to swim lessons at Mt. Lebanon High School, and Abigail is registered for a combination dance class a block from our house (ballet, jazz and tumbling). Both are excited about their upcoming activities, which start in mid and early September.

1 comment:

Mom/Mimi said...

Jack cracks me up. He will be an excellent student. You were like that in art lessons. Even though you were the youngest in the class at 3.5, you were the little sponge who was eager to do well. Thank God, that eagerness to learn never faded. You were much more reserved than Jack though.